Media Monthly Meeting
of the Religious Society of Friends

125 W. 3rd St, Media PA 19063-2498
Phone: 610-566-5657

Worship is held 11:00 AM every Sunday
(except 10:00 AM in July and August).

 

Home

Welcome

Meeting for Worship

First Day (Sunday) School

Calendar

Quaker Quest - 2011

Clerks

History

Links

Contact Us & Directions

 

History of Media Friends Meeting

In 1681 the Friends who settled along the Delaware River met in the home of Robert Wade in Upland and established Chester Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends. Other Meetings sprang up as the population grew, and in 1875 what is now Media Monthly Meeting moved to Media, the newly formed county seat, and built the present meetinghouse at 125 West Third Street. Not until 1955, however, was the name changed to Media Monthly Meeting to avoid confusion with the other Chester Monthly Meeting still located in Chester.

In 1876 a school for Friends and other students was started by members of the Meeting in a little room over a stable on Baltimore Pike. The present small brick school building next to the meetinghouse was built in 1886, with additions in 1908 and 1918. Three more classrooms and the social room were built in the meetinghouse in 1935, and the Meeting Room was remodeled to provide classrooms above it in 1957. The school offices were added in 1965. In 1990 a gymnasium, science laboratory, and additional classrooms were completed. In 2005, two additional classrooms were added in a new building on the north side of the property, the art and science classrooms in the small brick building were remodeled, the library in the meetinghouse was remodeled, and a new computer lab was added in the meetinghouse.